Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Discover our area of a triangle calculator app whether, isosceles, right or equilateral based on the mathematical steps formula.
Area of a Triangle Calculator: Discover Method & Formula
To calculate the area of a triangle, you need 2 measurements: base and height:
- The base (here denoted A) is none other than the side of the triangle from which the height will be drawn. Generally, it is the longest side that is chosen. However, this is not always the case. Especially with the isosceles triangle where the base is the side that has a single measure, and from which the height will start from the middle of that side.
- The height (here denoted H) is a virtual measure that starts perpendicularly from the base to join the opposite angle.
Once you have these two elements, you can apply the formula for calculating the area of a triangle that is the following:
Area of a triangle = (Base (A) X Height (H)) / 2
As you will have understood, this formula is none other than that of calculating the area of a rectangle to which one half of the surface is subtracted. This gives you the area of a triangle
Recall on Right, Isosceles & Equilateral Triangle Properties
- Right Triangle: has an angle of 90 °. Thus, for the calculation of the area, it suffices to multiply the two sides adjacent to this angle and to divide by two. Indeed, these sides joined by a right angle represent the base and the height of this triangle.
- Isosceles Triangle: has the characteristic of having 2 equal sides. The base will be the third side, which will allow you to perform the calculation of the area.
- Equilateral Triangle: It is characterized by its three sides and its 3 equal angles (60 °). You can choose any side to serve as a basis for your area calculation.